venerdì 19 ottobre 2007

Italian Pumpkin Soup


I love soups in the winter and I'm a pumpkin maniac. In Italy pumpkin is considered a vegetable so we don't eat it in cakes and sweet things, only with savoury stuff.
This is one those soups I make up when i have nothing planned and very few ingredients. Infact I had a little brown rice that my baby did't eat, and some cooked canellini which are small white beans, very tasty. Half of a nice pumpkin in the fridge. So i thought: soup! I put all ingredients together and added water, a very little salt (i like to add soy sauce at the end, because I never use stock), a quarter of a pumpkin cut into chunks and a lot of dried rosemary. I cooked it a few minutes in a pressure cooker and stirred it to melt the pumpkin, there is no need to use a blender. This soup is delicious, but I like to make new ones depending on what I got left!
I think I could be a friend of these people from New York called Freegans... LOL I found their website this morning and I must admit I'm fascinated! LOL
See their website and you'll know what I mean:
www.freegan.info

12 commenti:

Rural Vegan ha detto...

I swear, canellini beans make everything better!

Melisser ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.
urban vegan ha detto...

Mi piace pumpkin soup...and pumpkin risotto, too.

LizNoVeggieGirl ha detto...

it's so great how you can create a delicious, simple meal (like soup) just by using the ingredients that you have on hand; and your pumpkin soup is a perfect example of that - bravo!

I checked out the Freegan website - quite fascinating, indeed :0)

Theresa ha detto...

Canellini beans are my favourite beans, and pumpkin soup is fantastic. Yours sounds simple but looks amazing!

Meg Wolff ha detto...

The pumpkin soup looks great! You have my interest peaked...I'll check out the Freegans. Thanks.

Jen ha detto...

I love those recipes that just come together based on what's in the fridge/pantry! This soup is delicious looking!

Amy ha detto...

I love improvised soups!

Freegans are abundant here. A lot of stuff (like bagels) served at activist events I go to was rescued from a dumpster!

Monika K ha detto...

I can't wait to try this recipe - I've been making everything with pumpkin lately and love its flavor.

Anonimo ha detto...

i am a pumpkin soup addict too! my favorite version:
2 cups grated raw pumpkin
1 grated onion
2 grated green apples
pinch of cumin seeds
cover with water, cook until it's all soft. puree, season, taste...
serve with very grainy bread toast points.
yum!

Emilie ha detto...

Beans with pumpkin wasn't something I would have thought of, but it sounds really good.

Freeganism is really interesting. I wrote a paper on it, if you're interested I can send it to you, though it gets a little overly academic and probably quite dull...at least some of it is generally about freeganism.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife ha detto...

Ooh, I love pumpkin!

Related Posts with Thumbnails