sabato 12 maggio 2007

My first homemade Seitan



Seitan is a low fat, high protein, firm-textured meat substitute. It has been eaten in China, Japan, Korea, Russia and the Middle East for thousands of years.
And it is eaten by vegans and green people today!

It is really really easy to make, believe me.

I used:
1 Kg. white flour
1 tablespoon salt
water
Make a dough like as if you were making bread and keep it in the fridge for an hour.



Prepare two bowls of water, one with cold water and the other with warm water. Take the dough out of the fridge and start kneading in the cold water, then in the warm water and then in the cold one again.



This will take you about 5 to 8 minutes, or anyway until the dough is about one third of the original size.



Ok, your Seitan is ready to be cooked in a vegetable stock of your choice. I used water, soy sauce, rosemary and bay leaves. 40 minutes or 20 minutes in a pressure cooker.



I forgot to take a picture of what it looks like when it is cooked, sorry. Be patient and wait until it has cooled down and slice it.

I chopped a leek and fried it in olive oil. I then added the Seitan with a little of its stock, and some soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. If you don't live near Modena like I do and can't find balsamic vinegar just use a few drops of red vinegar (or omit the vinegar altogether) Enjoy!

3 commenti:

Bonnie ha detto...

Thanks for posting the explanation, I'd like to try it! Glad to hear it's not extremely difficult. It looks very nice.

Rural Vegan ha detto...

The pictures are really helpful. I have not yet dared to make my own seitan, but you make it look pretty easy!

Retaining Wall Contractor Rancho Cucamonga ha detto...

Hi, nice reading your post

Related Posts with Thumbnails